Thursday, September 11, 2008

Class Day

Today we went over the photographers that each student chose to present. There were so many amazing photos. It was nice to see a variety of types of images too. From landscapes, to documentary, to portraits, to surreal(to pull in a word from class)

Speaking of the surreal pictures, I still can't get my mind away from how the photographer did his photos. His shots were literally half under water and half above. Each half of the image had a different scene. They all had surfers surfing the waves on top, however below the water you saw much more then just… well water. They staged some rather different scenes… for example there was someone riding a motorcycle, a bedroom set (upside down), girls in bicycles. It was crazy, and almost made you swear you were looking at a photoshoped image. But they were not.

Now… I've taken photos under water with an underwater camera and well... with out proper lighting they come out a bit green. So how would a photographer shoot for above water and below water with out the colors being totally "off"? For underwater photos it's helpful to add a red filter, to fight off the greening and bluing effect of the water. But it's not needed above water, or the photo will have a red tint to it. This photographer printed his photos in black and white and this, I believe, avoided the problem.

Ok so I looked for these photos for a good 20 minutes. Do I dare reflect back to my first day's posting... on how it is impossible to find what you are looking for if you don't know the right terms. Ugh. I'll have to keep looking, they are really amazing and I'd love to share them here.

No comments:

Post a Comment