Monday, November 24, 2008

Picture Restoration

Picture restoration is something that has interested me. I have a box full of old photos from my grandmother and some of them are absolutely amazing, how ever they are old and delicate and beat up a bit. I wanted to reprint a bunch of them for printing and so I needed to learn how to restore them, with out having to pay someone else to do it.

I took a random photoshop class at work a few weeks ago thinking it may help with some hints on the tools I don't know of or how to properly use yet. Well most of the class was on restoration/retouching of photos. This was so perfect. I learned how to use the bandade tool and how to properly use adjustment layers.

Here is an example of my work. I do not have a working scanner these days, since it doesnt' seam to want to work with Vista... So I took this image off the web. It is not mine I am in no way presenting this image as mine, I'm just borrowing it for "class" as a tool for learning. I found the the image on shorpy.


BEFORE















AFTER















It is hard to see in this small, but I have removed all the "specks" and a few "hair lines" I also adjusted the color and contrast. Now these images have a very low resolution so my work could not be printed to anything use able but I think my fixes worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment