Monday, November 3, 2008

Candy Corn Cake


This Halloween I was asked to make a custom cake for my friends annual Halloween party. I decided to make a cake in the shape of a Candy Corn. I looked around on line to get ideas, but nothing was inspiring.
I noticed that no one made one that was standing up, all they cakes were traditional and laying flat. I decided to take on the task and make one of my custom 3D cakes and go all out.
Now I didn't have enough time to spend on photographing my cake as I made it, since the ingredients are time sensitive. But I did manage to grab a few shots of the process. Ironically the one shot I took of the cake layers before it was iced... was in a sense.... structure. Not my best work, but it does show the structure of the inside of the cake.

The finished cake also had a "structured" look due to the colored layers of a Candy Corn. Looking back I wish I had given myself more time to work on the cake. But because it was such a beautiful day out on Saturday I took my motorcycle out and did not want to get off. This however ate in to my cake decorating time by an hour and I lost valuable creative time. Anyway I think the cake came out pretty good. And in fact... it was good! I even got a few offers to make cakes for future parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment